What will a ‘Place’ look like? What will this new layer of the NHS mean in practice and what decision-making powers will Place leaders have?
As the NHS starts its journey towards an integrated future, Dr Steven Michael OBE (Chair of East Cheshire Partnership) joined Tom Clarke (Director, Mtech Access) on Friday 30th April at 2.00 pm to talk ‘Place’, ‘Partnership’, ’Collaboratives’ and more in our live webinar.
In our April #WhispersWordsofWisdom webinar, Dr Steven Michael OBE joined Tom Clarke to explore all things ‘Place’.
The UK Government’s Health and Care White Paper, along with other recent policy announcements, set out a major proposed reorganisation of the NHS in England. This includes the introduction of the term ‘Place’, a localised function within Integrated Care Systems (ICSs). There is still much uncertainty, even within the NHS, about what this term and others like ‘Collaborative’ will mean in practice.
In this webinar, Tom and Steven discussed what these new structures mean, how they may affect the patient experience, how they will impact decision-making and what they could mean for pharmaceutical and medtech market access.
Dr Steven Michael OBE has over 20 years of experience in the NHS. He began his career as a registered nurse working in psychiatric intensive care in 1985, before rising through various management and leadership roles to be CEO of a South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS FT between 2007 and 2016. He has since contributed to or chaired a number of NHS boards, including the NHS Confederation’s Mental Health Network, Spectrum Community Health CIC and East Cheshire Partnership.
We are excited to welcome Steven to the Whispers’ Words of Wisdom webinar series.
This webinar forms part of our monthly Whispers’ Words of Wisdom series, in which we have in‑depth, comprehensive conversations with senior colleagues from the NHS. We explore what their immediate priorities are, what they see as the greatest challenges currently faced by the NHS, and how the NHS might respond to these challenges.
Our previous webinars are available on demand:
- March 2021: ‘Pharmacy, Medicines, and Specialised Commissioning in the new NHS’ with guest speaker Professor Inderjit Singh (Chief Pharmacist at University Hospitals Birmingham).
- February 2021: ‘The White Paper and integrated care in the NHS: What it really means in practice for clinicians, patients and us’ with guest speaker Dr John Ribchester (GP and Clinical Director at Whitstable Primary Care Network)
- January 2021: ‘Heads at heart of the NHS: How mental health is central to everything in the new NHS’ with guest speaker Brent Kilmurray (Chief Executive of Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust)
- December 2020: ‘Pharmacy and Medicines in the Integrated Care Systems (ICS) of the new NHS’ with guest speaker Laura Angus (Interim Lead Pharmacist, Humber Coast and Vale ICS)
- November 2020: ‘Is prevention better than the cure? How can the NHS and public health work closer to improve population health?’ with guest speaker Dr Peter Brambleby (Independent Public Health Consultant)
- October 2020: ‘Understanding the tipping point: when elective becomes selective in NHS surgery’ with guest speaker Simon Parsons (Divisional Director of Surgery at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust)
- September 2020: ‘Leading within an evolving, integrating system: Insights from an NHS leader’ with guest speaker: Deborah Lee (CEO of Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Trust)
- August 2020: ‘ICS: Separating Fact from Myth: Insights from a System Leader’ with guest speaker: Dr Claire Fuller (Senior Responsible Officer at Surrey Heartlands Health and Care Partnership)
- July 2020: ‘The Evolving NHS: Lessons for Pharma and Medtech’ a discussion between Tom Clarke and David Thorne (Directors, Mtech Access)